Newcells Biotech provides products and services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry, and are always looking for new talent. Please see our vision and opportunities below
Is to be recognised as transforming drug discovery and development by developing the best in vitro biology that mimics and predicts how new drugs interact with human tissues and organs.
We are a team and company that values and are excited by:
Could you help Newcells Biotech design and produce innovative, cell-based assays?
Laboratory Assistant – Apprentice (Level 3)
Newcells Biotech (newcellsbiotech.co.uk) provides products and services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. Our vision is to be recognised as transforming drug discovery by developing the best in vitro biological test systems to mimic and predict how new drugs interact with human tissues and organs.
The company has unique capabilities in the development, production and commercialisation of retina and kidney test systems. We work with global pharmaceutical companies to provide important data on the safety, pharmacology and effectiveness of new therapies.
We are seeking two enthusiastic apprentices to assist us with the day-to-day running of our production laboratory. We are looking for individuals with an interest in biotechnology manufacturing who are organised, proactive, keen to help others and who have great communication skills.
The successful applicants will be registered for apprenticeships under the Science Laboratory Technician programme with TDR Training (tdrtraining.co.uk).
Job Title: Production Laboratory Assistant
Reporting to: Production Scientist
Location of role: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Summary of role: To assist with the day-to-day activities in tissue construct manufacturing
Qualifications: To be eligible for this apprenticeship, applicants require 4 or 5 GCSEs at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C) including English and Mathematics for a Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- An interest in Biology
- An interest in Biotechnology and/or Drug Development
- Good computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience in effectively communicating with others
- Demonstrable experience of a proactive mindset and ability to use own initiative
The ideal candidate should also be able to demonstrate:
- ‘Can do’ attitude
- Ability to take responsibility for setting high standards
- Ability to follow instructions and complete delegated work to a high standard
- Good organisational and planning skills with the ability to plan ahead whilst delivering to deadlines
- Good administration and record keeping skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven track record in maintaining effective relationships and working with a wide range of people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to create a positive environment
- Ability to learn and share knowledge with the wider team where appropriate
Your responsibilities will be varied but will include:
- Routine cell culture and maintenance of tissue constructs
- Preparation of laboratory materials for use in cell culture and assisting with paperwork
- Conducting activities and recording data in accordance with our approved Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Management System
- Assisting with data analysis and evaluation
- Helping the team maintain high levels of cleanliness of our laboratories
- Helping the team ensure that all of our processes adhere to Health and Safety policies at all times
- Any other tasks which are assigned to facilitate the smooth running of the office and laboratory
We want to attract talented individuals who share our passion and we offer:
- Day release and support for training activities to fulfil college requirements (total 20% of college term time)
- A competitive starting salary
- Flexible working policy and 25 days holiday per annum on top of bank holidays
- Personal development opportunities
- Company events
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free coffee!
Please apply for this position through the Government apprenticeship site (www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk) using reference no: VAC001747141.
Deadline for applying for this role is GMT 17:00 25th August 2021.