Development Scientist – In-vitro Assay Development
Newcells Biotech is a fast-growing company providing products and services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry based on induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) technology and primary cells. We focus on developing innovative in-vitro cell-based assays for pre-clinical toxicity, efficacy and DMPK assessment.
We have an opportunity for a scientist to join one of our teams working on the development of a novel 3-D assay for assessing the safety of new therapeutic compounds. The assay involves the use of iPSCs to develop in-vitro human organoids for use in high-content screening.
As a member of the Newcell’s team, you will be involved in developing this exciting technology area working in collaboration with our customers. We are looking for an experienced scientist with a track record in developing in-vitro cell-based assays for toxicity and disease modeling to industry standards.
The job is located at our laboratory based at the International Centre for Life in the vibrant city of Newcastle upon Tyne. We offer a competitive salary for the best candidates of £32,500+ per annum. We are a young company and offer exciting growth opportunities for our team members.
For more information on the company see: www.newcellsbiotech.co.uk
Closing date for applications is Friday 7th December 2018.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Activities and Responsibilities
- Developing the assay read-out platform of a high content assay using iPSC derived 3-D organoids
- Validating the assay against known compounds and assessing toxicity response
- Investigating and developing a novel biomarker approach to assessing in vitro toxicological responses
- Working collaboratively within a team of 5 scientists
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Honours Degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent subject
- Completion of PhD studies or 3+ years industry experience
- Experience in IT and statistical analysis
- Experience of developing in-vitro assays
- Understanding of toxicology principles
- Industry experience of working in a similar area of cell-based in-vitro assay development.
- Training in toxicology
- Excellent team working skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Willingness to take responsibility for work streams and follow them through to completion
- Mature, co-operative and flexible approach
- Ability to adapt to changes in research priorities
- Experience in mammalian cell tissue culture techniques
- Development and validation of in vitro cell based assays to industry standards
- Experience in analysis of cells using flow cytometry, histology, immunohistochemistry
- In vitro cell based assay use and development
- Experience of pluripotent stem cell culture and differentiation techniques
- Experience with PCR from genomic DNA, cell culture, transfection, gene reporter assays
- Experience in confocal microscopy
- Experience with Western blotting
- Experience of in vitro toxicology